Thank you for your interest in UpVentures. Please read our investment criteria before applying.
In building a portfolio, we invest in startups in industries where we have some knowledge and experience, as well where our relationships might help the entrepreneur build the company.
UpVentures typically invests in companies within the following industry segments:
- Tech enabled services (B2B or B2C)
- Enterprise software
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Cyber Security
- Electronic Gaming
- Wearable technology and IoT
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Clean Tech
- Healthcare technology
The following categories do not meet our investment criteria and we are not in a position to help: Real estate development (including any company requiring a large real estate or plant investment), television or radio programs, film, theater or art productions, and companies domiciled outside of the US. Additionally, we do not fund companies using the 506C exemption or where our investments are subject to a broker/dealer fee.
Our location, deep network of relationships and activities throughout Upstate NY makes this area our primary geography for investments. We make a smaller number of investments in NY metro and the San Francisco Bay Area as we have access to resources in those markets as well.
Investments outside of these geographies are only made when we are working in syndication with other investors we already know.
Almost all of the companies we invest in meet the following criteria:
- Large addressable market of at least $500 million
- Product is at minimum in the beta stage of development with some active customer participation, and typically revenue generating
- Recurring revenue business model
- Business is not dependent on large amounts of equity capital to reach high growth stage
- A plausible exit strategy within 5-7 years
- Founders who have already demonstrated personal qualities of leadership needed to sustain through significant challenges encountered in building a company.
What if my company doesn’t fit the UpVentures investment criteria?
The UpVentures Investor Network includes not only the dozen + fund relationships that we are active as Limited Partner and/or Advisors, but also hundreds of investors we have contact with through Upstate Venture Connect. Since these other investors cover a wide range of opportunities that are beyond the categories UpVentures invests in, entrepreneurs are welcome to complete our company application and should we spot a match, be authorized to pass your information along to other investors in our network.